Month: January 2009
http://report.yellowsn0w.com/index.php I edited and added this post about the 3g unlock so users can see what people are saying about the 3g unlock and if it works with your carrier.
Was doing my morning mental jog around the infinite track thats layed before me on the highway of information and one of my favorite sites “Simon’s blog” you can find the link below. Claimed the unlock software and stuff is out. So for you guys i went and got the link and the guide for you to try. Now below is just the text or steps of getting through it. The real guide is here. Pictures and follow through. Enjoy.
This link is for windows users btw. Not sure about mac users, I will look into it and update when i can.
Following the complete guide for jailbreak & unlock firmware 2.1 on iPhone 2G using QuickPwn, I received quite a number of requests from readers to write up the same guide for iPhone 3G. Before you run into the details of jailbreak, you’re probably aware that the word “Unlock” is missing in the post title. A typo? No, so far there is no solution to unlock iPhone 3G. For now, QuickPwn can only jailbreak iPhone 3G. That means you are still bind to single carrier and can’t use SIM card from other carriers. (For starter, you can check out this post to learn more about “jailbreak vs unlock”)
Important Update: This post is updated for firmware 2.2 jailbreak. If you are targeting to jailbreak firmware 2.2, please hold and read through this post first that briefly explain to you the potential impact of jailbreaking firmware 2.2.
Anyways, this post is devoted for iPhone 3G users who want to jailbreak their iPhones. If you can’t figure out a reason for jailbreaking, check out this post and see if jailbreak is for you. Okay, let’s start jailbreaking iPhone 3G.
Preparation for Jailbreak & Unlock
1. First, make sure you have upgraded to iTunes version 8.02 and backup your iPhone data by synchronizing it with iTunes.
Tip: You can download older version of iTunes here if Apple already releases a newer version of iTunes at the time you’re reading this post.
2. Download QuickPwn 2.1 and iPhone firmware 2.1 (3G). Save them all in the same folder. And unzip QuickPwn21-1.zip. So make sure you have all the files in place before continue.
iPhone 2.2 Jailbreak: For those you consider to jailbreak firmware 2.2, please download QuickPwn 2.2 and iPhone firmware 2.2 (3G).
Installing iPhone Firmware via iTunes
3. Next, connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes. Select your iPhone in iTunes.
4. Okay, now hold the SHIFT key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the “iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw” (or “iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw” for firmware 2.2) you have downloaded in previous step and click “Open”.
5. iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 2.1 (or 2.2). Keep your iPhone connected, don’t touch it and wait until the process completes.
Jailbreak with QuickPwn
6. Now, your iPhone should completely restore to firmware 2.1 (or 2.2).
Note: Please activate your iPhone in iTunes first before going to the next step.
7. Launch QuickPwn to start jailbreak.
8. Ensure you have the iPhone connected and then click blue button to continue.
9. Next, you are required to provide the firmware 2.1 IPSW file. Click “Browse” button to locate it.
iPhone 2.2 Jailbreak: Please select firmware 2.2 IPSW file accordingly.
10. You can then configure the settings for QuickPwn. Normally, you can check all checkboxes (i.e. Add Cydia, add installer, Replace boot logo). But if you do not keep the Apple logo, left “Replace boot logo” unchecked. Click blue arrow button to continue.
11. Your iPhone should still be connected with USB cable. QuickPwn requests you to confirm it once again as the Jailbreak process will begin. If you’re ready, click blue arrow button to continue.
12. Now, QuickPwn starts to jailbreak your iPhone. It automatically puts the iPhone into recovery mode. After that, you’ll be asked to hold Home button for 5 seconds. Then hold Home and Power buttons together for 10 seconds. Next, release Power button and continue to hold Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode (QuickPwn will prompt you when you’re in DFU mode, just follow what QuickPwn says).
13. While jailbreaking, your iPhone will show downloading jailbreak data, etc. And, just don’t touch your iPhone and keep waiting.
14. Once completed, QuickPwn will let you know the jailbreak process is successful. Your iPhone will be restarted.
15. Congratulation! You now complete the jailbreak process with iPhone 3G firmware 2.1 (or 2.2). Lastly, sync back your backup data with iTunes.
Links you will need for the update and unlocking and jailbreaking are
QuickPwn 2.1 – http://i.omerc.net/QuickPwn21-1.zip
Latest iTunes – http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Remember to use versions corresponding with each other. for example QuickPwn 2.1 with 3g firmware 2.1 and QuickPwn 2.2 with 3g firmware 2.2. Thanks to Simons blog for this guide and info. Guys have any questions or info feel free to leave comments or check out simons blog linked on my page below. Im not responsible for you anything that breaks(they rarely do). Enjoy your new unlocked and jailbroken iPhone. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.